Doctor Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya Sagar (A Central University), formerly University of Saugor, was established on 18th July 1946 by Dr. Sir Hari Singh Gour (Nov. 26, 1870 – Dec. 25, 1949). by his lifetime saving. This 18th University of India and the oldest and the biggest University of Madhya Pradesh has perhaps the singular distinction of being founded by the munificence of a single person's hard earned money of about two crore of rupees. Apart from being a great jurist and legal luminary par excellence, he was a great Patriot, Philanthropist, Educationist and Social Reformer.
Dr. Hari Singh Gour was the first Vice-Chancellor of Delhi University (1922 to 1926) and first Dean (1924) of The Faculty of Law in Delhi University. Dr. Hari Singh Gour also held the Vice-Chancellor of the Nagpur University, (two times in 1928 and 1936).
Dr. Gour was the founder Vice–Chancellor of the Sagar University (1946). The Govt. of India honored his memory by issuing a commemorative postage stamp in 1976. The University was rechristened as Doctor Hari Singh Gour Vishwavidyalaya in February 1983 by the State Legislature. The University is situated 5 Km. east of Sagar city and its campus covers an area of 1312.89 acres over Pathatiya Hills connected to the Vindhya Range, surrounded by rush green forests( about 100 acres) within its campus and has effectively contributed to the maintenance and preservation of ecosystem and its biodiversity. It is one of the finest picturesque campuses in India.
It has 36 University teaching departments (number keeps adding) 9 faculties and 175 affiliated colleges covering 6 revenue districts of M.P. There are 4 hostels for boys (940 seats) and two hostels for girls ( app. 400 seats). State Bank of India. Post office, STD booth, Employment and Guidance Bureau, University, University Press, 3 canteens and a shopping complex provide auxiliary services in the campus. The Jawaharlal Nehru Library of the University has more than 4,00,000 books.
Dr. Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar is the oldest University of the State of Madhya Pradesh established on 18th July, 1946 by the great visionary Sir Dr. Harisingh Gour by donating substantive portion of his hard earned personal property to promote higher education facility in the Bundelkhand region of Madhya Pradesh. The University was upgraded as a Central University on 15th January, 2009.